Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Comics A.M. | Comic-Con to resell 5,000 one-day passes

Comics A.M. | Comic-Con to resell 5,000 one-day passes

Comic-Con International

Conventions | Organizers of the sold-out Comic-Con International will resell 5,000 one-day passes for the July 12-15 convention. No date has been announced for the online sale of the canceled or returned badges; to receive notification, and to participate, convention hopefuls must sign up for a member ID by 5:30 p.m. PT Thursday. Badges sold out the first time within an hour and 20 minutes. [U-T San Diego, Comic-Con International]

Comics | Following up on the news of the impending Northstar-Kyle wedding, Michael Cavna talks to Tom Batiuk (Funky Winkerbean), Jon Goldwater (Archie Comics) and Paige Braddock (Jane's World) about writing about gay relationships ' and dealing with their editors and syndicators. [Comic Riffs]

Publishing | Entrepreneur profiles SmarterComics, a publisher that reimagines business texts as comics. [Entrepreneur]

CBLDF

Organizations | The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund has announced it raised $1,500 over the weekend at the Big Wow ComicFest in San Jose, California. [CBLDF]

Creators | Brian Michael Bendis continues his conversation with Greg Rucka, this time touching upon fandom, figuring out a business model for the webcomic Lady Sabre & The Pirates of the Ineffable Aether, and Rucka's departure from DC Comics. 'There is a great sense that what you do matters enormously when you're working in comics,' Rucka said. 'Yes, they matter to some people, but in the grand scheme of things? On a smaller level, when you're inside the apparatus, and you are feeding the apparatus and you are part of the mechanism, you will be rewarded and welcomed for it, you know, you're proving your worth, and your self-worth, in a way'and the second you are not, nobody has the time for you. At all. And I think that was one of the things that really took me by surprise when I left was, wow, all these people who said they were friends, claimed to be friends, they absolutely weren't. I mean, I dropped off their radar entirely. I was naive enough to believe they had been my friends, and that did not help. That was a dark place for a really, really long time. I love to collaborate on work. I love it. I love being able to work with other writers on a project. [Mark] Waid and I did this project, the Daredevil, Spider-Man, Punisher, crossover, 'The Omega Effect' ' we just finished that one up. I love being able to collaborate like that, because I especially believe that someone like me, who can't draw, that collaboration in comics is what makes comics glorious.' [Mulholland Books]

Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes! #1

Creators | Batman Incorporated artist Chris Burnham chats about his work with The House Theatre of Chicago, moving from creator-owned to corporate comics and collaborating with Grant Morrison: 'He gives me all sorts of rope to hang myself with. He's pretty explicit that as long as I'm telling the story he wants, I'm free to do whatever I want with it. Adding panels deleting panels, moving panels from one page to the other, as long as I'm nailing everything he's going for, he's perfectly open for an artist to screw with the camera angles and panel count and stuff like that. I'm always trying to impress him and my bosses and fans of Frank Quitely, so I'm always trying to top myself and show off. I don't want this to be a Grant Morrison book drawn by some yahoo, I'm trying to make this a Chris Burnham book that happens to be written by Grant Morrison.' [The A.V. Club]

Conventions | Shawn Griffiths reports on last weekend's Dallas Comic Con, which may be experiencing growing pains. [Examiner]

Conferences | Elysabeth Alfano reports on the Comics: Philosophy and Practice Conference at the University of Chicago, which featured such luminaries as Art Spiegelman, Alison Bechdel, Seth and Robert Crumb. [The Huffington Post]

  • May 23, 2012 @ 07:00 AM by Brigid Alverson
  • Tagged: Alison Bechdel, Archie Comics, art spiegelman, batman incorporated, Brian Michael Bendis, Chris Burnham, comic book legal defense fund, comic conventions, comic strips, Comic-Con International, comics a.m., comics creators, comics industry, Dallas Comic Con, DC Comics, grant morrison, Jon Goldwater, Paige Barddock, robert crumb, Seth, SmarterComics, Tom Batiuk, webcomics

Leave a Comment



0 comments:

Post a Comment